This page is for people who
- have an account on the CIT Exchange server, and
- want to start using Outlook 2011 for Mac.
If you previously used Entourage 2008 to access your Exchange account (on the computer where you will be using Outlook 2011), these are not the instructions you're looking for. Instead, see our page on Importing Entourage settings into Outlook 2011.
Make sure your Mac OS X installation is fully updated. From the
menu, select and accept any updates offered.
Outlook 2011 only works with OS X 10.5.8 or higher (Leopard), OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), OS X 10.7 (Lion), and OS X 10. (Mountain Lion).
After you have installed Outlook 2011 (or Office 2011),
- Run Outlook. You should see the welcome screen shown below.
If you don't see this screen, from Outlook's Menu, select . Skip to step 4 below.)
- Click to put a check next to Make Outlook the default application for e-mail, calendar, and contacts.
- If you have no accounts configured, click Add an Account dialog box.
If you have configured another account, you'll see the Accounts dialog box. Click the down-facing arrow near the bottom, then select from the menu that appears.
- On the Enter your Exchange account information dialog box, for E-mail address, enter your NetID@cornell.edu address.
- For User name, enter
(substituting your own NetID).
- For Password, enter the password you use with your NetID.
. Outlook will contact the Exchange server and retrieve your information. You should see a summary of your account settings like the one shown below.
- Close the Accounts dialog box.
You should now be signed into your Exchange account.
Outlook will start downloading messages and items from the Exchange server. Depending on how much email and calendar information you have on the server, this could take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours. You can use Outlook while it downloads, but it may respond sluggishly.