Getting Started – How to request NetIDs
- Staff and faculty: New faculty and staff receive their NetIDs as part of the employment process.
- Students: As soon as the university processes your enrollment deposit and response card, your NetID is created and you are notified at the email address you used on your application. If you have a text-enabled cell phone number on file, you have the option of receiving your NetID and activation code via text messaging. Otherwise, a letter is sent via postal mail with that information.
- Affiliates: Affiliate business offices must request a NetID from the IT Service Desk for new affiliate staff.
- Weill and Qatar employees: To obtain a NetID, email the IT Service Desk with the subject "Request for [Weill or Qatar] NetID".
- Alumni: Alumni can go to the Alumni Affairs web site for instructions.
- Sponsored NetIDs: Contractors or other individuals who are not directly affiliated with Cornell but have a business purpose for needing access to Cornell services or systems can be given a sponsored NetID. Please email the IT Service Desk with this information:
Subject: "Request for Sponsored NetID"
Body of email: include name of person being sponsored
- Associate NetIDs: Graduates of the professional development programs in the School of Hotel Administration can be given an associate NetID at the school's discretion. For more information, contact the Alumni Affairs Office for the Hotel School.
See more details about who can receive a Cornell NetID.
How to use this service
At the Manage Your NetID site, you can:
- Activate your NetID
- Change your NetID password
- Set security questions for your NetID
- Reset your NetID password using your security questions
- Check to see whether the password you’d like to use is strong enough